Finally finished report

I finally finished the Perth Games Industry Community Profile for Let’s Make Games.

It was a lot more work than I expected, and it’s unfortunate that a lot of that was wrestling with software. Here’s a list of issues that I ran into:

  • I had to recreate charts because Lime Survey only generates them in .png format (so they aren’t scalable or suitable for printing). Generating SVG charts would be a nice feature.
  • I created all art as plain coloured vector shapes since Inkscape‘s export to pdf via cairo doesn’t handle patterns or gradients well.
  • Open Office Writer makes it incredibly difficult to not put numbers on the opening pages, so some workaround were required.

I don’t want to give the impression that I’m ungrateful for the wealth of free software that allowed me to conduct this survey and produce this report in the first place. I’m just being plain about shortcomings and areas for improvement.