I figured that I would make another (more recent) list of places to eat in Perth.
Most of the places listed are around Victoria Park and Northbridge. There’s also a pretty heavy emphasis on Asian food and everything listed is reasonably priced. This probably just indicates my personal tastes (in locales, foods, and prices). 😉
Anyhow, here’s the list! (organised by type of food):
- Thai: S&T Thai. Get the gai yang or num tok set. (Alternative: Siam Kitchen)
- Korean: Took Be Gi. Try the kimchee chagae and pear juice.
- Burgers: V Burger. Try the Classic V Burger with chips and aioli. Onion rings are good too, but pretty oily. (Alternative: Jus Burger)
- Lebanese: The Prophet. The mixed platter is fantastic. As are the complementary bread, pickles, and garlic sauce.
- Turkish: Turkish Kitchen. Freshly baked bread, made when you order.
- Chinese: Good One BBQ. Best for roast pork or chilli pepper prawns. (Alternatives: Tak Chee BBQ, Taurus)
- Yum Cha: Dim Sim Cafe. Try the Shanghai dumplings. (Alternatives: Yummy BBQ, Dragon Seafood)
- Vietnamese: Vin Hong. I always get pho tai or com tam with fresh lemon soda. (Alternative: Lido)
- Ramen: Dosukoi Japanese Noodle & Bubble Tea. Go the pork ramen with miso base. (Alternative: Nao Ramen)
- Cafe: Source Foods. Be impressed by the immaculately-presented muesli and range of freshly squeezed juices.
- Japanese: Fuji Sushi Station. Very good tuna sashimi. (Alternatives: Senoji, Sapporo, Hayashi)
- Indonesian: Sparrow. Have a bit of everything with a glass of ice tea – no sugar. (Alternative: Bintang Cafe)
- Pizza: Mancini’s Woodfired Pizza. I recommend the classic Margherita, the Bianca, or the Rustico. (Alternative: Palace Pizza)
- Asian Bakery: Regent Cakes. Get a scallion roll if they have them… battle mild disappointment if they don’t.
From the entire list, I’d have to say that S&T Thai Cafe is absolutely my favourite. It easily gets my vote for best new restaurant of 2009, and the most authentic Thai restaurant in Perth.
There are also a few places that I only really go to for a specific meal (which appears to be far above the rest of their offerings):
- Makan2: Roti pizza, ikan bilis, and teh ‘o ice.
- Izumi: Inari sushi (oddly, not so common) and beef curry.
- Tea Cafe: Hot lemon coke and one of the set menus… not sure which…
- Kublai: Only when in the mood for Mongolian BBQ (a very specific mood).
- Japanese Place at International Eating House on Albany Hwy: Teriyaki beef with lots of vegetables. (Their other food is also very good value).
- Pancho’s Mexican Villa: The shredded beef used in some dishes… that is all.
- Little Creatures: Roast pork with apple, and kangaroo on skewers (Kangababs?).
- Clancy’s Fish Pub: Fried Mice… yeah that’s pretty much it.
- Wagamama: Their apple, lime, and mint juice is very refreshing… such a shame about their food. 🙁
Finally, let’s have a moment of silence for Wasabi and Rice Bowl. Their beef bowl and buk kut teh were timeless – but unfortunately they were not. 🙁
Anyone out there have any other recommendations for eating out in Perth?
Update: Lebanese/Turkish correction.