I recently posted about our failed attempts at DIY screen printing, but I also mentioned that everything did actually work out in the end. So the question everyone probably wants answered is: “what happened in between!?”.
Following guides such as (the very loud or excited) “HOW TO SILKSCREEN!” No Media Kings’ “How to Silkscreen Posters and Shirts“, we decided that we had to get ourselves some photo emulsion. I won’t repeat the steps involved in using the emulsion here (as they are explained in both linked articles and in many other places as well), but here is the end result:
Now that‘s a nice screen. Looks great doesn’t it! Much better detail and much less effort than what we tried before! Keep reading for more photos and descriptions of the actual printing process.
We didn’t have a special table or clamps, so it we had one person hold the frame while the other squeegeed. Before screen printing we put a piece of paper inside the shirts (to stop any paint seeping through to the back of the shirt). It all worked out pretty well:
We laid the shirts out for the pain to dry. They probably took around half an hour in the sun.
After they are touch dry, the prints are “heat set”. That means we put a piece of paper on top and iron them for a while.
And we’re done!
Note: I’ll post in future about where we managed to find all the required equipment.