Nintendo recently announced that their new handheld (currently dubbed the 3DS) will be released sometime over the next 12 months.
Details are sketchy at the moment, but it looks like it will:
- Be backwards compatible with DS and DSi game titles.
- Feature a screen that produces 3D imagery without requiring special glasses.
- Include orientation and motion sensors, and vibration feedback.
- Feature a special 3D joystick.
I’ve enjoyed seeing the design ideas coming out of this thread on NeoGAF, but I’m not entirely bought off on any particular design (yet). As is my want, I’ve been playing around with different concept designs.
My first idea was based around the following possibilities:
- A vertical tablet has appeal to a wide audience (ebooks, crosswords, etc.).
- Dual cameras could be used for 3D photography/video with the 3D screen.
- Nintendo may focus on cameras, motion, and touch over “legacy” controls.
- “Classic” controls should be available for the traditional gaming audience.
- 16:9 is the new 4:3 (let’s hope it’s 720p!)
Here’s the current mock-up (click image for larger version):
It’s pretty rough, and I had a few different ideas while working on it, so look out for something new over the next few days. 😉
Update: Minor fixes (mostly lightness).
3 thoughts on “Nintendo 3DS concept design”
Hey Nick, sweet design – love the “+” shape!
Hi, that’s design is better than old ones I think, but is it safe enough for the screen? Somehow we must protect it.
Mad props. Seriously sick!
Comments are closed.