Every Australia Day I have the same thoughts:
- Australia Day should really be on a different calendar day
- We should really be a republic by now
- We should really change that flag
Australia has an appalling record of gross mistreatment of Indigenous Australians. Scheduling the national day of Australia to fall on a date representing colonisation is: At best, in awfully poor taste; At worst, an instrument for wilful and malicious socio-cultural subjugation.
Speaking of subjugation, why do we still support a foreign monarch? In this day and age… it’s pretty amazing (and embarrassing). Surely we can work out some other model of governance.
So every Australia Day I come to the same conclusions:
- We should become a republic
- We should mark the date we do so by making it the new Australia Day
- And we should remove the Union Jack from the flag
It seems pretty straight-forward to me. Maybe we could even become a republic on January 26 – provided we do something to properly reconcile all Australians (a simple “sorry” isn’t enough). Hmmm, I’m sure that it will happen eventually.